Friday, May 29, 2009

It Wasn't in My Planner

I'm a planner, organizer, write everything down type girl. I planned my labor. I knew what would happen, but I didn't write it down in my planner so of course it all went to the birds....
Here is a reader's digest version of what I didn't plan.
They started inducing me on Sunday night with a nice thing called Cervidil. They put it up in your get the idea. By Monday morning nothing had happened. They started me on Pitocin to REALLY induce labor. The OB came in to check me (Brady was at breakfast) and all of a sudden she has popped out a knitting needle and is breaking my water. I did not expect it to happen so fast. She left and would check back in at noon. The pitocin really kicked in as far as giving me hellish contractions. They were piggy-backing each other....oh so painful. I wasn't quite ready for the epidural so I asked for a narcotic to get me by. Ha! It was a joke! It only lasted an hour and it caused Case's heartbeat to go way down. It went so low that at this time they started mentioning C-Section to me! The resident took me off the pitocin to relieve me of the contractions, but that also stopped any progress we were having with dilating. My OB comes in around noonish, puts me back on the pitocin and says I'm only at a 3! By this time I am in need of an epidural. There is more gross information in between all of this, but I'll spare you. The epidural guru comes in and gives me the wonder drug. OMG! I thought I was going to kiss this guy. I felt better immediately. I slept as much as possible, then another resident comes in and says I'm at a 5! Thank goodness! Around 5 o'clock my OB comes in, checks me out and she says I'm only at a 4! Well crap....she gives me two choices. C-section or laboring for another few hours to see if anything is going to happen. Her words were, "You can labor for a couple more hours but I'm still going to do a c-section because I seriously doubt anything will happen." Case's heartbeat was still somewhat low, he was facing the wrong way, he hadn't dropped nearly enough, I was spent from the already long day and it just wasn't worth spending more time if nothing was going to progress. It felt like as soon as I gave the OK for the c-section...five minutes later I was having my stomach cut open! I of course wasn't suppose to feel anything during the surgery but toward the end I was in a lot of pain. I refused any medicine until I heard him cry. Once he cried I went to la-la land and talked up a storm to whomever would listen. I talked about cupcakes, bacon, OSU...whatever. I also thought I had triplets when Brady brought me Case for the first time. I was so out of it, I was seeing THREE babies. Lord help me!
So, as you can see, it wasn't what I planned. I also didn't plan on getting an infection that made me feel like hell for two weeks. I'm on the mend from that now, but goodness....
I really wanted to pop him out, no drugs, nothing dramatic, take him home and everything be perfect. I've found out that life isn't planned, not everything has to be written down in my perfect green Franklin Covey planner. But my life is all the better regardless....just look at what they gave me at the hospital...I think I'll keep him.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Holy crap, girl! That sounds awful. Why the heck were you in pain during the c-section? I didn't feel ANYTHING. Something had to have been wrong. Infection? Was it your incision? I'll have to tell YOU what I did to prevent it, but I'll spare the rest of your readers.