Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Obama, Obama!

Warning: I cannot get Blogger to spellcheck for me, so forgive me for my spelling!

If you haven't "gotten into" the Presidential Race, let me tell you....it is exciting. Knowing that you are making a difference, it just feels good. I skipped out on studying (I'm starting that as soon as I'm done with this post though!) and driving through what I would call a blizzard (I'm dramatic though).....I went to my first Democratic Caucus. It was pretty awesome. Here is what happened.....

We gathered into an auditorium at Newman. It only held around 400 people. Within 30 minutes, the Obama side was busting at the seams. They make the decision to send the Obama side to the gym. This process was pretty chaotic. I don't think the volunteers for the democratic party were prepared for the turn out they had. It's not that it was disorganized, just that they were not expecting so many people. I can't imagine what it would have been like if the weather would have cooperated. Once we got in the gym they put us on one side and divided us into groups of 100. This is where it was confusing. I thought, as well as people around me, that Clinton supporters would try to persude us to come to their side and vice versa. This never happened. Somehow during this process, 10 Clinton supporters came over to the "good side" and voted for Obama. They finally counted us, counted us again, and then counted one more time. People were cheering, getting agitated, calling others to find out results from other states and just discussing the entire Presidential Race. That part of it was pretty cool. To see so many people in one place supporting the person who you believe should be our next president, was amazing.

The final results from our district was Obama 510, Clinton 309! If you have kept up with Super Tuesday then you know Obama took Kansas.

I even had to call Daisy to tell her that I wish she could be there to experience it. She would have been proud of this displaced Okie in the Land of OZ.

No comments: